Monday, April 1, 2013

Survival, then gratitude in a Thank you Poem


WInnicott wrote of survival in his 1969 The Use of an Object paper. Survival for the mother or the analyst attacked by the baby or the analysand, respectively, means neither withdrawing nor retaliating. One analysand put it this way.

Thank you for allowing to express disdain for you without taking offense, without crumbling or acting childish.
Thank you for allowing me to express contempt without making me feel wrong. 
Thank you for allowing me to express disgust without retaliating.
Thank you for allowing me to hate you without making me feel ashamed, bad. 
Thank you for allowing me to be me and not throwing a guilt trip on me for doing so.
Thank you for allowing me to grow.
Thank you for allowing me to express my feelings.
Thank you for being you.
Thank you for showing me it's ok to be imperfect.
Thank you for teaching me how to withstand forces that want to rip me apart.
I want you as a friend, not an analyst.
I want you as an analyst, not a friend.
I didn't know you could be both.
Thank you for accepting me as I am, and all the hell that comes with that.
Thank you for letting me hate you.
Thank you for no strings attached.
Thank you for no conditions. 
Thank you for no retaliation.
Thank you for love.
Thank you for your patience as I try to share my pain, find who I really am.

1 comment:

phd dissertation writing service said...

Beautiful poet !! i love this keep up your good work doing